Friday, May 15, 2009

A Story from the Talmud

(I saw a version of this in one of Walter Kaufmann's books, perhaps Tragedy and Philosophy. I can't remember for sure. I read most of Kaufmann's books back in the days before my return to the Church. But this story stuck with me. It always makes me smile.)

Rabbi Eliezer and Rabbi Joshua were debating a point of Law, and after long argument, neither could persuade the other. In frustration, Rabbi Eliezer said, "If the Law is as I say, this tree will show us", and immediately the tree jumped a hundred yards. But Rabbi Joshua said, "Strange behavior of a tree proves nothing about the Law." Then Rabbi Eliezer said, "If the law is as I say, this river will show us", and immediately the river reversed direction and began to flow upstream. But Rabbi Joshua remained unimpressed: "What does a river have to do with the Law?" Next Rabbi Eliezer appealed to a nearby wall: "If the Law is as I say, this wall will show us", and the wall immediately began to topple over. But Rabbi Joshua rebuked the wall, saying, "If two scholars debate a point of Law, what business do you have to take sides?" So the wall stopped in mid-fall. Out of deference to Rabbi Eliezer it did not straighten up to its former position, and out of respect for Rabbi Joshua it did not fall any further. Finally Rabbi Eliezer appealed to heaven, and a voice came down from above saying, "What do you have against Rabbi Eliezer? The Law is as he says." But Rabbi Joshua responded: "It is written in the Torah, "It is not in heaven". What does this mean? The Rabbis of old thoroughly discussed this passage and came to a consensus, which we all now accept, and ever since then, we no longer listen to voices from heaven, for You have already put it into the Torah that we should decide according to the majority." Now Rabbi Daniel was present at this debate, and it happened that some time later he encountered Elijah the prophet. He asked Elijah what the Holy One, Blessed be He, had said at that precise moment. Elijah replied: "God smiled and said, 'My children have won against me! My children have won!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment